All Hormones are NOT Created Equal
Millions of men and women visit their doctors every year in order to figure out what is exactly going on with their hormones, or attempt to obtain more information about how they can feel better with optimizing particular hormones.
Unfortunately many traditional physicians feel some forms of hormone replacement therapy (i.e., estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, thyroid) should only be used for the shortest period of time possible. Other wellness/alternative medicine practitioners feel these types of hormones should be lifelong, given their protective benefits.
Understanding your Hormones
- Hormones are special chemical messengers in the body that are produced within the ovaries, testes, adrenal glands, pituitary, pancreas, thyroid, parathyroid, and hypothalamus. These messengers control most major bodily functions, from simple basic needs like hunger to complex systems like reproduction, and even the emotions and mood.
- When our hormones are in balance, we tend to feel better, have less fatigue, have better skin, and put ourselves at much less risk for development of chronic underlying disease states.
Aren’t ALL Hormones Synthetic?
- By Synthetic, we are referring to hormones that are essentially hormone wannabes, that are not identical to the hormones we naturally produce within our bodies.
- For example, one of the most prescribed drug combination hormone replacement therapies for menopausal women is Premarin (conjugated equine estrogens) and Provera (medroxyprogesterone acetate = Progestin). Premarin is derived from pregnant horses and contains mostly estrone and a number of equine (horse) estrogens that are not natural to humans. Many of these foreign estrogens bind very tightly to the human estrogen receptors, making them highly stimulating and carcinogenic!
- The combination Premarin and Provera have demonstrated an increased risk of breast cancer, strokes, blood clots, and heart attacks, but still be prescribed everyday!!!
- The problem lies when physicians use synthetics such as Premarin and Provera interchangeably with Bioidentical Estrogen (i.e., Estradiol) and Micronized Progesterone. These are by no means the same hormones and react completely different within the body! They assume Bioidenticals represent the same hormones as their dangerous synthetic counterparts.
We Want to Live in a Bioidentical World
- While BOTH Synthetic and Bioidentical Hormones are made in a laboratory that is where their similarities end!
- Bioidentical Hormones are very different from their synthetic versions, often having completely opposite physical and cellular effects. For instance, Bioidentical Estradiol and Micronized Progesterone are derived from plant materials with the exact same chemical structure as what your body produces.
- Bioidentical hormones are the safest and most effective way to ensure optimal hormone levels. Bioidentical hormones should not be confused with synthetic HRT, as they are far superior to their synthetic counterpart.
What Hormones can be Considered Bioidentical?
- Testosterone Compounded Cream or Testosterone Pellets
- Testosterone Cypionate and Testosterone Ethanate both have an added ester group that is eventually cleaved in the bloodstream, eventually returning to its free, bioidentical form
- Estrogen (17-Beta Estradiol) – NOT Conjugated Equine Estrogens (CEE)
- Micronized Progesterone – NOT Medroxyprogesterone!
- Thyroid (e.g., Armour, Nature-Throid, T3/T4 Compound)
Why take the risk of consuming or taking hormones that are not Bioidentical to your naturally produced hormones?
- Optimizing your hormones with the proper Bioidentical Hormone has been shown to improve your overall health, quality of life, and assist in the prevention of certain chronic disease states such as: cardiovascular disease, cancer, type II diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis, and even dementia!
If you have questions or concerns about hormone replacement therapy, please feel free to reach out to us directly, so we can help relieve any fears or concerns you have with optimizing your hormones.
All Content Copyright © 2011-2017, LVWellness & Aesthetics™. All Rights Reserved.
The content of this website is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any medical condition, nor should it be used as a substitute for medical advice from a qualified physician. The information contained herein is presented in summary form only. It should not be considered complete and should not be used in place of a visit, call, consultation or advice from a physician. Only a qualified physician can determine if you qualify for treatment.